A Campsite of the Mexican Army on the Middle Bernard Creek in April, 1836.
A very important event occured in late 1996. A local resident was in
the process of digging a pond on his property about 2.5 miles west of
the town of East Bernard, Texas when he unearthed a solid iron
cannonball. This was a place rumored to have been the campsite of the
Mexican Army in 1836. The results of the archeology that took place
after this incident changed what was written in Texas history books.
Gregg Dimmick and Ed Person went to investigate and found more artifacts including another cannonball, musket balls and gun parts identified as being from the India Pattern Brown Bess musket. The Brown Bess was one of the primary firearms of Gen. Santa Anna's army. Gregg, Ed and Joe Hudgins quickly determined that the site had the potential of having great significance and they were correct. They contacted the Texas Archeological Research Laboratory in Austin, Texas. The site was assigned the trinomial 41WH91. The owners, Bruce and Susan Badger, allowed the Houston Archeological Society to do a proper investigation of the site. Field work began on September 14, 1996 and continued through November 9, 1996.
Archeologists documenting the locations of artifacts
Hudgins and Gregg Dimmick measuring an artifact location
of an Oval Brass Plate with raised |
lettering reading "GRANADEROS".
|Gilded Brass Mexican Eagle Emblem|
|Brass Cane Handle||Iron Bayonet Socket ot the type fitting a Brown Bess Musket.|
|No. 6 Line Battalion Button||Picture of a No. 6 Line Battalion Flag|
Brown Bess Trigger Guard
|Brown Bess Terminal Ram Rod Pipe|